The WHO Decision- making Tool/Flipchart for FP clients and providers: Adaptation processProject Focus
Quality improvement of Family Planning Care in primary and secondary level health services.
Duration of Project
2002 – (ongoing)
WHO/Department of Reproductive Health and Research
Project Aim/ Objectives
- To engage clients fully in reproductive and family planning decision-making so that they make a healthy contraceptive choice tailored to their needs.
- To improve the quality of technical information being offered by providers, by giving them a user-friendly resource that contains accurate technical information on contraceptive use and other reproductive health topics.
- To improve the counselling and communication skills of providers so that they are empowered to interact positively with their clients and offer them a high quality reproductive health and family planning service.
This is a multi-country project implemented in South Africa, Mexico and Indonesia.
- Adaptation conducted in 4 workshops from 2002-2004 facilitated by RHRU.
- Participants were mainly public health care facility providers, national and provincial departments of health, WHO, RHRU & tertiary institution experts. The adapted tool was then reviewed.
- The first phase in field-testing the tool in South Africa involved feedback from family planning providers, programme managers and experts in counselling, communication and family planning service delivery. Subsequent phases of evaluation involved pilot-testing of the tool with providers and clients, which will build a basis for future and more extensive evaluations of the impact of the tool on performance, quality and satisfaction.
- The final phase of testing involved operations research to initiate adaptation of the tool at country level and to inform procedures for on-going monitoring, evaluation and improvement in the design, training and country adaptation process.
- Workshops were organized for members of the WHO, family planning facilities managers and researchers from across South Africa. Similar workshops were held in Indonesia and Mexico.
- Field-testing of the WHO tool undertaken in the provinces in South Africa
- Field-test report written and final report being undertaken.
- A SA summary was provided to WHO
- Meetings were held with WHO, DoH & RHRU to share the results
- A final report on the project has been written
- Manzini N, Smit J, Mqhayi M, Beksinska M, Gokul M. Field-testing the South African Adaptation of the WHO Decision-making Tool for Family Planning Clients and Providers. (Paper presented at theReproductive Health Priorities Conferences in South Africa)
- Nzwakie Mosery, Jenni Smit, Mmabatho Mqhayi, Ntsiki Manzini. Adapting and field – testing the World Health Organization Decision-Making Tool for Family Planning Clients and Providers: South Africa. (Paper was presentation at the WHO/ UNFPA meeting on the implementation of the best practice tool in Ethiopia)
- Working on a Scientific paper on the adaptation process
- Distribution of the adapted tool at DoH health facilities
- Further training of rest of health care providers in KZN
Projects in the Barrier Methods & Contraceptions Cluster:
Comment On Page | Tell A Friend | Bookmark | Print Page